Here at Purple Flour we have a passion for all things cake…
Welcome to Purple Flour. Established in 2010 by cake designer Claudia Newberry, Purple Flour has blossomed into a successful and well-established cake company. We specialise in creating beautiful and unique cakes to our client’s exacting requests. The difference to other cake design companies is our huge emphasis on also producing cakes of outstanding taste, not just looks!
Having been born in Germany, Claudia grew up baking delicious cakes with her family. After arriving in England and forging a successful career in retail management, Claudia wanted a career change that allowed her to develop her passion for cakes and build a business around her young family. Inspired by her husband’s grandmother who made wedding cakes for her friends and family, Claudia completed a Masters in Cake Decorating and set up Purple Flour from her kitchen at home.
Six years on and many cakes later, Purple Flour has built a reputation for always delivering well-executed cakes with exceptional taste and attention to detail. Purple Flour has, as a result, become a preferred supplier for Hever Castle, Penshurst Place and other prestigious venues throughout the South East. Claudia was even fortunate enough to bake a cake for Prince William that was featured in Hello magazine!
Claudia works with every client in person to design and deliver a cake that is unique to both the occasion and the individual/s. The focus of her business is wedding cakes but special celebrations are also well catered for.
Flavours, Fillings & Sizes
All of our cakes are baked fresh to order and we use only the finest ingredients, such as actual vanilla beans (not pastes or essences), Belgian chocolate and fresh organic fruit.
We bake a variety of cakes and flavours, click read more to see a selection of our most popular Purple Flour creations. If you don’t see your favourite type or combination then please just give us a call to discuss what you would like.
- Sponge Cakes – our sponges are light, moist and full of flavour – never dry or never dull!
- Real Vanilla Bean – layered with seedless raspberry conserve and vanilla bean buttercream
- Rich Chocolate – layered with double chocolate buttercream or Belgian chocolate ganache
- Indulgent Chocolate with Salted Toffee – layered with salted toffee buttercream
- Luscious Lemon – layered with lemon curd buttercream
- Lemon & elderflower – lemon sponge spiked with lemon&elderflower syrup and layered with lemon&elderflower buttercream
- Tropical Coconut & Lime – layered with a zesty coconut and lime buttercream
- Dark Coffee and Walnut – layered with espresso buttercream
- Banana Banoffee – layered with toffee buttercream
- Spiced Carrot – our carrot cake is moist and full of flavour and made with walnuts, cinnamon, ginger, a touch of vanilla bean and layered with cream cheese buttercream to further enhance the taste
- Sticky Date – layered with salted toffee buttercream
- Pistachio & Lemon – layered with vanilla buttercream and tangy lemon curd
- Luxurious Red Velvet – a sumptuous red sponge layered with a cream cheese buttercream – a firm favourite of many brides!
- Classic Rich Fruit Cake – a rich fruit cake baked from my mother-in-laws recipe, with the fruit soaked in brandy for two weeks and the cake baked at least two months in advance of your day to ensure it is moist and full of flavour – this one even keeps for your future christening cake!
- Our Vegan Cake Menu
- Rich Chocolate Cake – layered with very chocolatey buttercream
- Vanilla Cake – layered with seedless raspberry jam and vanilla bean buttercream
- Lemon Cake – layered with a tangy lemon buttercream
- Carrot Cake – layered with a cream cheese buttercream
- Red Velvet Cake – layered with a cream cheese buttercream
Some of our cake flavours are also available as Cupcakes and most can be made as a gluten or dairy free option.
We can make your cake design as small or as large as you like, please just let us know your requirements but as a guide:
- 4″ round serves 8 finger portions
- 6″ round serves 20 finger portions
- 8″ round serves 45 finger portions
- 10″ round serves 80 finger portions
Our cakes are baked in a kitchen that uses nuts so please let us know if you have a nut allergy.
Booking Your Consultation & Prices
The fun then really starts with an invitation to a design consultation and tasting session with Claudia in person. We do ask that you have your wedding venue booked at this stage and decided on at least an outline theme for your Wedding as otherwise we find it challenging to design your dream cake to match the big day. We provide a very personal service and will work closely with you aiming to create something that will truly exceed your expectations, and that of your guests.
During your consultation the design process begins with discussing your event and initial cake ideas and design thoughts in more detail whilst we get to know you, and you get to know Purple Flour. The initial design usually comes together over the hour period as you sit comfortably and sample three of our delicious cake flavours!
After your consultation you will be sent a detailed summary of the Wedding Cake design so far and a sketch for your approval. Don’t worry at this stage if you change your mind, we are used to brides, or grooms, wanting to make alterations! Design consultations and tastings are complimentary for your Wedding Cake.
For smaller orders and for commissions where a meeting is not always possible, such as clients being overseas, the initial consultation process can be carried out via telephone, email or Skype.
We only take on a limited number of commissions each week ensuring that the utmost quality and time is dedicated to your order.
- Wedding Cakes are priced from £175 per tier dependent on the amount of personalised work required
- Celebration Cakes are priced from £85 for a simple design
A 50% non-refundable deposit is required to fully confirm any Wedding Cake order with the balance due 4 weeks before the Wedding date. You may also reserve your event date with us in advance with a holding deposit and decide on your design details at a later stage. A delivery charge may be applicable to your Wedding Cake commission depending on the location of your venue. As an approximate guide deliveries are charged at £0.50 per mile based on a round trip to the venue.
We have a selection of stands and knives that can be hired from us for a charge and/or deposit.
For Celebration Cakes we accept payment upon collection. Delivery charges can be discussed upon placing any order.